5.18.2009

Ignorance


We are finally in our last week of training...starting this Friday, we're on our own! I am making a video of our training class and will be sure to post it when it is done. One of the biggest things we've learned is to assume the kids "know nothing". We keep hearing stories of kids who (before coming here) have never used a fork before, kids who have never been to a restaurant other than fast food, who have never had their clothes washed before, etc, etc, etc.

As I was thinking about this, I had the opposite problem growing up --- I had everything...and since my mom, dad, grandma, and/or great-grandma did it all, I never really had to learn anything. Dinner was always waiting for me, my clothes were always washed, the house was always cleaned without me --- me and my brother and sister were pretty spoiled as we had all that handed to us!

But because of this my ignorance in household things really was embarrassing when I got out on my own. Two things I remember that were pretty embarrassing looking back:

1) During a job interview on safety instruction I was asked how often the lint trap should be emptied from the dryer. My answer --- twice a year (somehow I was still offered that job?!?).

2) OK...this one tops the cake...during one of my first grocery store visits, I bought some Hamburger Helper. When I got home, I started to make it, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why there was no hamburger meat in the box (I had no idea you had to buy it separate). My roommate Steve was rolling on the floor laughing at that one!

Thankfully I am a very quick learner so these things pass very swiftly! So what about you? What are some of the dumbest things you've said/thought/done/etc? Leave a story or two in the comment box!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe - twice a year...good thing you didn't leave it to that...may have had some problems!

Isn't it crazy how when you actually think about things growing up...how much was done and then learned it later? (Thanks mom/dad!!) :)

I can't think of any stories right now but I am sure there are some....

miss you guys! love you!

Anonymous said...

I grew up pretty sheltered also. I stayed as far away from the kitchen as possible. All I wanted to do was play outside with my friends.

Later, when I was on my own, I wanted to get some Parmesan cheese for some spaghetti. I couldn't find any at the grocery. I was looking for "Farmer John" cheese!

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean for the above entry to be anonymous. I hit the wrong button.

Sunny R. said...

I'll try again.