10.21.2008

Time Warp Tuesday --- Three Kinds of People


There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count...and those who can't.

I came into my freshman year at Grove City College with great anticipation. I was recruited by the track coach, and the track times I ran in high school were faster than the college records there. I also loved math and did very well at it in high school and was looking forward to (as a math major) to someday being a math teacher and continuing my magic on the side.

Freshman year at GCC everyone had to take physical education. To start out the year all freshman had to take a test to see which skill/fitness level class they would be in. The track coach was also one of the P.E. professors, so of course I wanted to impress him during my test...especially in the running events. So I went all out in the shuttle run, the 50 meter dash, and the vertical jump and did better on these than every other freshman. We also had to do a throw and a few other non-running events in which I did average.

At the end of the test, I was dead tired! We had a little card we carried around with us and marked all our scores. We had to add some stuff up and do some basic division, addition, ect and generated and wrote down a final score. I ended up with a 63, but really had no idea what that meant.

As Physical Education class progressed throughout the semester, it became more and more apparent that I was at a different skill and fitness level than the other guys in my class, and really didn't belong here. My suspicions became valid when my professor asked me if I was sick or something on test day. I said no that I had done pretty well and on some of the tests had the best score out of everyone.

So he went into his records and pulled my card. Basically, on the test, you could score anywhere from 0-400. 0-100 put you in the lowest level class, 101-200 in the next level, etc. So my 63 put me in the lowest level class, but examining my card showed a basic math error that should have made my score a 363. Oh well, at least I got to feel like Rocky Balboa for a semester.

But to add insult to injury, my professor's response was, "Well, hopefully you're not a math major".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you didn't become a math major, two in one family would be way too much for the rest of the gang! he he he

Jerry

Anonymous said...

That's a funny story. I got put in the freshman swimming class at GCC by mistake too. Fortunately they moved me out the 1st day.

Unknown said...

yeah - two math people in one family...sheesh! :)

that's a funny story...remember to carry the 3! :)