3.10.2009

Talking Point Tuesday --- Jerry's Birthday

Today is Jen's dad's (Jerry --- pictured above) birthday. He has been a great father-in-law (watching the Steelers, letting me beat him at golf, putting the family up in million dollar homes at vacation, etc, etc, etc).

The second time I met him, he took a good hour trying to convince me that the Earth "could be" flat and that it is not necessarily round. As a former math teacher, he spent a full day of class laying out the arguments for his students as well. I still to this day don't know if he really considers that the Earth could be flat, or if he just likes to present the arguments and possible evidence for fun. If anyone is interested in the arguments, there is a group called the "Flat Earth Society" (Click HERE) that is convinced the Earth is not round. But, I will have to go against my father-in-law on this one and go with my Heavenly Father who says:

It is God Who sits above the circle of the earth (Isaiah 40:22)

But in any case, Happy Birthday Jerry! Feel free to leave him birthday wishes in the comment section as well...and also with all his traveling now that he is retired, pray he doesn't fall of the edge of the Earth!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Dad! :)

Anonymous said...

I see you received plenty of birthday wishes over on Joni's site:

http://jacosgrove.blogspot.com/2009/03/happy-birthday-dad.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wishes and great tribute. Not too sure of the form on the golf drive. he he he
As far as "circle" if you recall from my explanation, the earth is like a frisbee or contact lens which is a circle! This topic was always good to prove the fact that one should not always believe what they are told. You have been told since early childhood that it was a sphere and I wanted to have the students "think and prove" that it was, not to take it as fact without question.
Some of the problems with our current president. No pork was promised before the election and look now what is being passed. The entire "hog farm". he he he

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE TRIBUTE!
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all who responded to Joni's site. You will have to tell me how you did that "magic trick".

Jerry

Anonymous said...

So, Did it make it? - Josiah thinks it's in the water (sorry dad - just remember he has no clue) :)

Anonymous said...

I don't recall, I think it made it over the water and a row of bunkers that was on the right side.

Jerry

Unknown said...

haha - Josiah you're too cute! :)