2.24.2009

Talking Point Tuesday --- An Ode to Peanut Butter


It was a very busy weekend! We started out with Swing Dancing Friday night at the seminary. One of my friends that was a student with me years ago gave lessons with his wife to current students in the Student Center. It lasted probably an hour and a half, and probably only 40% of the people there even danced, though Jen refused to stop the entire time because this was "exercise time". We concluded by playing a game in our neighbor's apartment called "Compatibility" which measure how well you know your spouse. Jen and I took second, but embarrassingly we were defeated by a couple that has only been dating for 2 weeks.


Saturday morning I went to Akron to take the MENSA test. During my counseling classes, we had to take an IQ test and my results qualified me for MENSA (the group is made up of people with IQ's in the top 98% of the population). So I was encouraged to take their test years ago but never did...but now I thought I would try just for fun. The test was actually pretty easy (especially the math and logic)...but it was very quick. There were 8 different tests within the test and you would only have 4-5 minutes on each section and couldn't go back, and it was impossible to get through every question. So the majority of the ones I answered were right...the question will be whether or not I was fast enough to answer as many questions as needed. I'll find out in about 3 weeks and will include one of the math/logic questions from the test I am confident I got right on tomorrow's "What Is It Wednesday"...and you can see how you do.


Saturday night we went to our annual Valentine's Celebration with our class from church. That's where the title of this Blog Post, "An Ode to Peanut Butter" came from. We have a competition where we wrote a poem with our spouse. Jen and I won 1st place for the funniest poem called "An Ode to Peanut Butter". I am sure it made Jen's heart stop when she read the title to this post making sure that I didn't actually post our poem (she would be WAY too embarrassed). The only thing she'll let me say is that it was a poem about a romantic rendezvous in the park gone terribly wrong. The title of the poem has nothing to do with it...we were required to have certain words and phrases throughout the poem and when we finished we realized we forgot to put "Peanut Butter" (one of the required words) in our poem, so we thought outside the box and just made it part of our poem title. You can all beg Jen to see it if you want, but I don't think you have much of a chance!


Sunday morning I taught a special class at church on Calling. After church we went and taught at the detention home on the house that is built on the rock, and where the foundation of your life should be. The kids responded really well to it this week. Then Sunday night there was a special meeting for all the leaders in the church, and I taught for about 45 minutes on Core Identity, which went well too based on many of the leaders asked for my notes so they can teach it as well.


Today we head up to Cleveland for Jen's cancer Dr. check-up. It's been almost 4 years since she has had cancer and God has blessed us so much in so many areas over the last 4 years. Please pray for good test results and that our lives could continue to glorify Him!

2 comments:

Jill S. said...

Wow - I didn't realize you were such a smarty. Now I don't feel so bad that you always referred to me as 'my idiot assistant". HA!

Anonymous said...

Makes me tired reading all that!

Sounds like a lot of fun fri. and sat. I would like to see the poem, JEN! - You said it was funny! Did you just write it there in a few minutes?

Praying today goes well. Let us know the results. Hope it is sunny like it is here today.

Janet