5.12.2008

Magical Monday --- The greatest show ever!

The picture above is my uncle Mikey and my aunt Phyllis. Mikey is the other magician in the family who got me interested in magic when I was about 7. He taught me all the basics, and although our performances and stage styles are very different, we are still able to share a lot of ideas and tips with one another. And despite the differences in the way we perform, we have done many shows together over the years.

So one year we decided to spend a week together in Pennsylvania doing volunteer shows for the hospital, nursing homes, youth groups, etc. We had a show scheduled every day of the week. At one of the nursing homes, they brought all the residents into the community room in their wheelchairs. We performed for them for about 45 minutes. In the very front row, an older lady caught my eye. Throughout the entire show she was in a dead sleep...snoring away. Not once did she open her eyes.

At the end of the show, we walked around to greet people, thank them for coming, etc. As I was going down the line, I noticed the woman who had been sleeping the entire time was now awake. When I got to her, she grabbed my hand, pulled me close, and remarked, "THAT WAS THE GREATEST SHOW I HAD EVER SEEN!" (must have been quite a dream).

If only all audiences were like that...(stayed tuned for next week hahaha)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't someone also raise thier hand in the middle of your show at one of those old age homes and ask when the show would be starting?

Magic Mike said...

I believe that happened to Mikey once. He always did a lot of nursing homes.