5.19.2008

Magical Monday --- The Key



One of the large illusions I used to perform is called the "Subtrunk" (pictured above). I've used several different assistants (including Jen) over the years...two of them are now in LA as professional actresses! Basically, the assistant gets placed in handcuffs, tied in a bag, and locked in the trunk. I would stand on top of the trunk, lift a curtain overhead, and within a few seconds the curtain would drop and the assistant would be standing on the trunk in my place, with me locked in the box, tied in the bag, and handcuffed. I know most have you seen me perform this before, but if you haven't here is another guy demonstrating it...
-
-
So one day my assistant at the time (Amy) and I were performing at a large mall in Pittsburgh for Halloween. There were around 500 people there. This is probably our 10th time doing this trick together, and after I lock Amy in the trunk I would take the key and place it on the front of the stage so she can get me out of the box at the end of the trick! So we go through the entire trick, do the "magical switch" and I am now locked in the box. Pretty soon I hear tapping on the box and hear "I can't find the key" which is normally on the front of the stage. I realized that I never put the key there for her and started to think where it could be. Unfortunately, I realized where the key was...it was in my pocket! So here I was, in handcuffs, tied in a bag, locked in a box in front of 500+ people and the only key to get me out was in my pocket.
-
Quite a predicament! So what happened? Well, I am always curious as to who actually reads this Blog, so leave a comment, send me an e-mail, or ask me in person and I will tell you the rest! magicmike@magicmikeshow.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok - so we read it and want to know what happened next but my question is, if you got in there, can't you get out?? I mean, come on... aren't you Magic Mike?!? I still want the scoop though!

Unknown said...

Well, obviously you got out....and didn't destroy the box because of the MANY times you used it....

so, how did you get out?

Magic Mike said...

Check back on Wed. for the rest of the story.