6.06.2008

Family/Friend Friday --- Church in the "Valley"



As I said on Wednesday, this week is my brother's anniversary (John and Leslie) and that I would tell you a story about him. In one of my first posts on this blog, I told you I used to stay with my great grandma a lot on Saturdays and ride into church on Sunday with her. One particular weekend I went to the Pittsburgh zoo with my friend Aaron (I was probably around 10 or 11) on a Saturday night, and we got home late.

My parents woke me up to go to early church with them, but I didn't want to go. My brother was old enough to drive and he and my sister were planning on going to the later service, so after many protests by him, he finally agreed to let me tag along.

So 10:45 rolls around and the three of us load into the car. It doesn't take long for me to realize that we are not heading toward the church we usually go to. I'll give my brother the benefit of the doubt and assume he was reading the Bible the night before in Isaiah 40:4-5 which says:

Every valley shall be raised up...And the glory of the LORD will be revealed.

So what "valley" did we go to that Sunday to see the "Glory of the Lord"? Our car pulled up to Valley Dairy --- one of the local ice cream parlors. For the next 1/2 hour I enjoyed a Clown Sundae and then a few arcade games at the mall. Just about the time church would be over, we headed back for home.

I had to promise I wouldn't tell my mom and dad where we had gone (apparently my brother wasn't reading Exodus 20 --- The 10 Commandments --- the night before). I must admit though, for a little kid, this was probably my favorite Sunday (Sundae?) morning! My only question is...how often did this happen when I wasn't around? Did my brother and sister go there every week? We may never know...unless one of them is brave enough to leave a comment and explain!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.