6.26.2008

Theological Thursday --- 5 Stones



David vs. Goliath

Then David took his staff in his hand, and chose 5 smooth stones...(1 Sam 17:37)

Have you ever wondered why David chose 5 stones to go and fight the Giant Goliath? People have suggested several theories:

1) David didn't trust God enough to get the job done with just one stone.
2) God wanted David to beat the giant with one smooth stone, but David had to carry more in case God was wrong (not a high view of the sovereignty of God!).
3) This was just a random thing and David just happened to scoop up 5 stones and God wasn't involved (again not a high view of God's sovereignty!).
4) They were symbolic of the 5 reasons God allowed David to find victory (I don't even understand that theory!).
5) David was preparing for the possibility of more than 1 giant waiting for him.

------

While we may not know for sure exactly why 5 stones were chosen (one of those questions we can ask someday in heaven), I would like to propose the possibility that God was preparing David for the future. Check out what happens in the life and ministry of David...

1) A giant named Goliath is killed (1 Sam 17:50)
2) A giant named Ishbi-benob is killed (2 Sam 21:16)
3) A giant named Sibbecai is killed (2 Sam 21:18)
4) Another giant named Goliath is killed (2 Sam 21:19)
5) A giant with 24 fingers/toes is killed (2 Sam 21:20)

So in David's ministry, he was able to slay 5 giants (not just 1 from the popular Goliath story we hear about more often). As I look back on my life and places where I have made an impact in ministry, I can see times where God was preparing me for what I would face. I see God continuing to prepare me today, and it is exciting to wonder what the future will hold. So although I am not carrying around 5 smooth stones, my bag is full with what God has given me for the future. How about you?

No comments: