6.30.2008

Magical Monday --- A Different Kind of Magic


I was working at a trade show in Indianapolis for 4 days doing magic at the main convention center (where the Indianapolis Colts play). On my first day there, I was walking the streets downtown looking for a place to go to dinner. On one of the streets, there were a handful of homeless people asking for money. This was nothing new, as you see the same thing in Pittsburgh, but for some reason God led me to one of the men sitting by the corner of a building holding a sign asking for help. I went over and sat next to him and introduced myself and he did the same (his name was Larry). I asked him if he would like to come to dinner with me....a very small sacrifice considering what the Apostle Paul went through to show the love of Christ in 2 Corinthians 11:
-
I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
-
So as we walked down the street together, Larry asked if I would buy him a hotdog at one of the street vendors. I said if it was ok with him I would like to take him someplace where we could sit and talk, which he agreed. In the resturant, Larry shared that he had injured his back at work, his wife kicked him out of the house several months before, and he had been sitting at that same corner everyday trying to survive.
-
As our conversation turned to the Gospel, he said he had been losing faith in God because of all that had happened. He seemed to really grasp the understanding that God did not give us this life to be happy, but to be holy...and above everything that goes on in life, we have hope because of a Savior. We prayed together and headed back out to the streets. The highlight was another beggar approaching us and asking for help...and Larry handed him a small handful of spare change he had collected that day and said, "Remember, Jesus loves you!".
-
This journey during one of my magic trips taught me a lot about faith and obedience...and we can see amazing results when we just trust the promptings of the Spirit. Over the next 3 days, I walked by that corner to see Larry (just to say hello) and although he was there everyday for the past several months as he had told me, he was not there any of my remaining days in Indy. One verse in the book of Hebrews I wish Paul would tell us a little more about is Hebrews 13:2...
-
Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels.
-
WHO KNOWS???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's really cool! you've experienced so much with your magic trips...