7.14.2008

Magical Monday --- My First PAID Show


From the time I was 7, I was used to showing tricks to my family, having teachers ask me to show tricks in school, and of course sharing with all my friends my latest tricks. However, I never saw a dime out of it. It wasn't until I was in 8th grade that I was asked to do my first paid performance. One of my teacher's husband was a driver for a local Amish Community (if they needed to go to a Dr.'s appointment, go to the store in town, etc) and they wanted to do something special for them...so they hired me to do a show at one of the Amish family houses.

So, for a whopping fee of $25, I agreed to do a 1/2 hour show (OK, $50 an hour isn't bad for a 14-year-old). Back then I had all my tricks in a large black trunk that I would lug around. Once I arrived, I said one of the dumbest things I've ever said at a performance --- wanting to get my tape player ready (this is still before CD's!!!), I asked the head of the house (an older Amish gentleman), "Where can I plug this thing in?". Actually, it ended up not being too dumb, as he went and got some type of generator that allowed me to run the tape player.

I am soooooo glad for that generator! Back in those days, I was way to shy to say a word during a show. I would do the entire 1/2 hour show without making a peep. I should have just painted my face white and been a mime as well. That stayed true until my senior year of high school (I'll tell the story of why that changed on a different Monday...now my show has a ton of jokes and audience participation).

So anyway, I was set and ready to go, and about 15 Amish kids sat on the floor in front of me. Now if you ask a "non-Amish" child what a magician and magic is, they can pretty much give you a description of what it's all about. But not these kids! They were clueless who I was, what a magician was all about, and what to expect. The older kids (ages 10-15) absolutely loved the show and it was a real treat for them. But those poor younger ones sat there with a glazed look of horror on their faces...not sure what to think. When I did my "floating ball" one of the little girls ran off crying hysterically. After the show, some of the adults asked another of the young kids what they thought, and they just sat there with a blank stare and couldn't speak.

I got my $25 and of course bought some more magic, but who knows what damage I did to those unsuspecting kids! Every time I see or hear about something bad happening in an Amish community, I pray I never hear, "My problems all started when this kid came to my house with this black trunk"...

No comments: