7.29.2008

Time Warp Tuesday --- Master Hunter


I was 12 years old the first year I went hunting with my dad and we would go every year after throughout my years of high school. I never really cared so much if I shot a deer as I was never a fan of venison and my mom had no clue how to cook it anyway. I got either a buck or a doe every year we went, but we would always just give it away to someone. The excitement for me was the competition and the excitement of getting to shoot.

During that first year I didn't get a buck, but there were so many deer that year I was sure to get a doe. On the afternoon of the first day of doe season as my dad and I stood together in the woods, a group of about 20 deer stumbled upon us. I took aim at a doe that was only about 40 yards from us. I shot...she immediately dropped. I just got my first deer!

My dad said, "Nice shot!" to which I replied, "I aimed for the heart just like you taught me". As we approached the fallen prize and examined my masterful hunting skills, my pride soon subsided...the shot was far from the heart I had aimed for...but rather went through the top of the deer's neck.

I am sure she must of ducked and lunged backwards just as I shot making my shot so perfect that --- OK, maybe not.

No comments: