8.08.2008

Family/Friend Friday --- A Day at Camp (Part 2)


OK...things are a little backwards this week...part 2 is going to come before part 1 because Jen (whose birthday we celebrated this week) is a lot more involved in the part 2 story, but it will still have some flow to it next week when the story is finished off.

Growing up Jen would always go to a 1-week Baptist camp called "Camp Judson". As she got older she spent time as a camp counselor and right after nursing school she was the "camp nurse" for all the little campers. In the summer of 2003, Jen was asked to spend a full day teaching a group of high school kids spiritual discipline. She accepted the challenge and ask me to come along with her.

It was really neat to spend a day at this camp that meant so much growing up to her (it's where she accepted Christ!). When we got there, she immediately remembered so many memories and was so excited to share all of them with me including camp songs (every once in a while I still ask her to sing the "Austrian Song" where a guy goes climbing a mountain), where they would do the polar bear swim (jumping in the water at like 6:00 in the morning), where they would have night services and sing around a camp fire, the elephant tree which was very old and looked like an elephant (which fell down this year...Jen was sad!), the places she slept, the games she played, how she would save her money for the little store they had there, and even the secret place her sister Julie ran off with some other boy counselor she liked during a game of hide-and-go-seek so they could be alone!

I am glad Jen got to experience all this and have so many memories and a place like that she can go back to. She also did an amazing job teaching! She kept the high school kids attention all day and they were really into what she was presenting. Her preparation really showed! I usually spend about 1/2 hour getting ready to share at the detention home each week and about an hour getting ready for the class I teach at church...but not Jen...I'll bet she spent at least 15-20 hours getting ready so it would be as close to perfect as could be, and God was certainly glorified that day! So if you work with youth at all --- ask Jen to teach...she'll do a great job. Just ask at least a year in advance!

All this came after a disastrous night. What happened the night before? Well, check out this blog next Friday and you'll find out.

P.S. The stories I had in mind to share today that were funny I was told I was not allowed to tell. So just keep in mind when your birthday or a big event in your life rolls around and you will be featured in Family/Friend Friday --- THREATS DO WORK (so does paying me off). How did I do Jen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did good not embarassing me. How much do I owe you? Did I say that about Julie? I bet you heard that from Jason Zaborowski. Julie, is it true?

Anonymous said...

I"m over here laughing cuz I remember hearing about that rumor too...I'm quite certain that sounds like a Jason "thing" b/c I know he (and Roscoe) always sought to embarrass me with things like that... But I don't remember running off with any guy! :) I did somehow manage to get married to Abel at the Judson Inn one summer though... do you remember that? How embarrassing that was!! But that Hide and Go Seek game always intimidated me though b/c I was always afraid I would go too far into the woods and not know when the game ended & have all these campers without their counselor!

Unknown said...

I was sitting here thinking "Julie did that????" haha - that does sound like a Jason thing! I remember Julie's "wedding" to Abel as well!:) haha

ah, the memories of Judson! I miss that place!!! And it was sad the elephant tree "died"