8.24.2008

Magical Monday --- Juggling

At some point in elementary school I decided I would learn to juggle. I am not sure how I learned...I just remember picking up 3 balls and teaching myself. Over the years I also taught myself a lot of tricks with 3 balls...one of them is so difficult that some of the professional jugglers I've done shows with couldn't do it (and I never realized it was that hard!). Recently we've had 2 new neighbors move in below us...Nate and Sharon. They also know how to juggle, so we've decided to practice and learn some more stuff. They even do a Gospel presentation while they juggle, and I've ordered a book on it too (so maybe we can do some children's church groups in town when we polish our act). This past weekend I was determined to learn to juggle 4 balls at once. There are a lot of people that can handle 3, but hardly anyone that can do 4...and through some research found that many people would never be able to juggle 4 no matter how much they practiced (it takes a certain amount of hand/eye gifting). So by the end of the weekend, I was juggling 4 balls pretty well, although still far from perfect. You'll see it in the video, as well as a trick where I throw all 3 ball behind my back (that's the one that stumps the pros)...Nate and Sharon are also included practicing in our apartment. We invented all these tricks together....


8 comments:

Unknown said...

That was very fun to do!

Unknown said...

you're amazing mike! :)

that was cool! looks like fun! I bet you had a great camerawoman! :)

Anonymous said...

Guess you need a 4th. Janet will try it! he he he he

Anonymous said...

Hardly, you'd be playing 'pick-up' with me helping.
That's really cool. It does look like fun. So are you entering that act in Ashland's contest?

Anonymous said...

Hardly, you'd be playing 'pick-up' with me helping.
That's really cool. It does look like fun. So are you entering that act in Ashland's contest?

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I learned to juggle when I worked at a mushroom cannery while in college. During downtime I would pick up 3 mushrooms and practice.

Anonymous said...

Not to burst your bubble but, lots of people can do 4 balls, and 3 behind the back in a simple multiplex throw like that is pretty easy as well. You might check out the videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/jasonrgarfield

And as long as I'm bursting one bubble: there is no god.

Magic Mike said...

I appreciate your comments --- and many people can juggle 3-balls (around 30% of the population), but less than 1% can juggle 4...but when you are dealing with 5,000,000,000 in the world, that's a lot!

I hope you haven't given up your search for God, because He absolutely does exist, and I hope you find each other!