8.19.2008

Time Warp Tuesday --- A Day at Camp (Part 1)


A few weeks ago I told you the story of Jen taking me to Camp Judson and how great she did leading the high school kids in Spiritual Disciplines for the entire day (see August 8th post). Although the day went great, the night before wasn't so perfect...

The evening before Jen and I were to go to camp, I had a softball game. The game ended pretty early so my former roommate Steve and his girlfriend at the time Amy (now they are married) asked if we wanted to go and play a quick 9 holes at a little par-3 course on the way home. Jen wanted me to help her do some finishing touches on her lesson, but I assured her we would be done in plenty of time for me to give her some help and convinced her to go.

When we arrived, I only had my softball spikes which they wouldn't let me wear on the course so Steve let me borrow a pair of his shoes. I threw my spikes in his trunk and off we went. Jen and Amy are not golfers so the round was taking much longer than expected. About the 7th hole Jen insisted that we leave so we had time to do the stuff for camp. I asked Steve for his keys to get my shoes, but he only had a little remote to unlock his doors and left the keys inside his car. So we decided I would get my shoes, place his car remote inside his shoes that I had borrowed, and I would hide his shoes under his car.

About 20 minutes after we got home, there was a call from Steve asking where his shoes were. I told him I placed them directly under his car but he was adamant that they were missing. He thought I was joking and hid them somewhere else, and I thought he was just trying to get me to drive back there as a joke. But when I heard Amy saying the same thing...I knew she wouldn't lie!

So I headed back to the course (Jen stayed at my place to wait...since this would only take a few minutes), and Steve's shoes had been stolen! The people who had taken them probably didn't realize the car remote was inside because on the front seat was Steve's wallet that they could have easily taken as well.

Steve has locked his keys in his car before and knew how to break in. He said we needed a "radio antenna from a GM vehicle that is from the year 2000 or older". We knew someone nearby that had that and drove and unscrewed it from their car. So just as Steve said, this antenna slid right through a crack in the door and he started pushing it up against the "unlock" button. He tried for a good 1/2 hour with no success. We decided a coat hanger might be helpful so I ran home and grabbed one. Jen was none to happy at this point as it was getting very late!

I returned with the coat hanger and we used it and the antenna together to try and unlock the car. On one of my attempts I could clearly see that the button was completely pushed down and the car was not unlocking. About 2 hours had now passed and I made an interesting discovery. Below the button we had pushing was another button that was labeled "lock/unlock". We had spent 2 hours pushing the wrong button! We were pushing the button that rolls up the window! From the beginning I assumed that since it was Steve car he knew what he was doing. Oh well, my discovery led us to quickly unlocking the car, Jen still did a great job, and I was left with a story I could tell on my Blog years later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you left out the part that you were doing all this while pour Amy had to use the bathroom and the office was closed by this time so there was none around for her to use...
I'm glad I can laugh at it now - you're right, I was none too happy at the time...so did you learn any lessons?! You would be wiser now, right, honey??

Unknown said...

haha - always good stories with you and Steve involved...poor Amy and Jen! They stuck it out though!! haha

and that would stink...on one of the several trips back to your place...why didn't you take Amy to let her use the bathroom? sheesh!