9.18.2008

Family/Friend Friday --- 10 Years


This month will be my 10-year reunion at Lock Haven University. Early this week I told you a story about my friends at Grove City College and the great relationships I had there, but when I transferred to Lock Haven, it was very different. There was a lot more drinking, partying, and a complete lack of Christian values...so I didn't have nearly as many friends there (and I would go to either DuBois or Grove City on the weekends to visit my friends there).
-
I did have 1 great friend at Lock Haven. Her name was Kirsten and she was in the Phys Ed program with me. While others were out partying, we would always watch Three's Company, Friends (they actually had new episodes back then!), rule the tennis courts (we never lost a double's match together), or play one of my wacky made-up games like Bruiseball or Powerball(so those of you that hate my made up games and modified rules you can blame Kirsten for always encouraging me!). She is now a teacher near Hershey and lives with her husband and occasionally jumps on to read this Blog.
-
The best story I can remember with Kirsten came from our Adaptive Physical Education class. The professor thought it would be a good idea to make the entire class spend 24-hours in a wheelchair to get an idea of what it was like. Kirsten was my partner and she would help me out, and then we would switch the following day. As soon as we got out of class that day, she agreed to help wheel me back to my apartment.
-
Now, if you've ever been to Lock Haven you know there are only 2 choices...you are either walking up a hill or walking down a hill....there is no level ground. So we get to one of the hills that leads to my apartment and we are slowly making our way down. All of the sudden, Kirsten "accidentally" lets go, and I am off to the races (I am still not sure if it was really an accident?!? --- Maybe she'll leave a comment and explain). I wish I had a video I could show you of what happened next, but this one off of Youtube pretty much sums it up:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing about that story. But to tell you the truth, the letting go of the wheelchair was partly your fault. I do not know what you were doing, maybe trying to make me go faster but, you were kind of pushing the ground with your feet. I remember telling you to stop because I was not strong enough to hold you back. Well, you kept pushing and I let go. I just remember your size 13 feet trying to stop the wheelchair. It was funny and thankfully you were not hurt so we can laugh about it. The episode scarred me emotionally consequently, I have not been in a wheelchair since, have you?
Have a good night. It is fun to reminisce.