9.23.2008

Time Warp Tuesday --- Trivial Pursuit


When I was growing up, my family liked to play trivial pursuit. My dad would win every time, but we had fun trying to beat him (it is amazing how much useless knowledge he has!). I couldn't tell you 99% of the questions that have been asked over the years as you hear them and forget about them fairly quickly, but two moments stick out for me...

The first one happened when I was in 4th grade. The "brown" category was always the hardest. My mom and dad were playing against my brother and his girlfriend. I was on my mom and dad's team but being only in 4th grade I was more of the kid who is just on a team to give me something to do...I wasn't supposed to know any of the answers. My team needed the dreaded brown piece to win. A question came up about the underground railroad for the slaves. We were studying slavery that week, so my ears perked up and asked them to repeat the question. My mom said, "Come on, you don't know that one Mike...I'll give you $1,000 if you do". Moments later I blurted out Nat Turner (the correct answer) to win the game. I am, however, still waiting for my $1,000.

The next one happened when I was in high school. It was me, my mom, and my dad each playing for ourselves. My dad pulled a card to ask my mom a question in the science category. He read, "What is Pi" (the mathematical number used in circle measurements). My mom responded, "What kind of pie?" to which my dad said, "Strawberry banana". My mom said, "Oh, then flour, sugar, strawberries, bananas..."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha! that's great!!!