9.22.2008

Magical Monday --- September 11th, 2001


September 11th affected us all whether it be a job loss, a hit in the stock market, loss of a loved one, or a renewed appreciation for family and friends. The week before September 11th, I filled in as the after school detention teacher and received 1/2 day of comp time that I was using that morning. So I got to watch all the events unfold at home...ultimately the kids were sent home from school that day so I never had to go to work.

Several of my magic shows over the next few weeks were canceled as well. One show that remained was a birthday party the following Saturday for a 6-year-old boy. There were about 25 kids and their parents. The show was a hit and many of the parents thanked me for bringing some fun into a very sobering week.

After the show the boy's mom asked to talk with me. She said business had been really bad that week and she didn't have the money to pay me right now. I asked her what she did, and she was a dancer at a downtown Gentleman's Club and the events of the week were preventing men from coming to see her strip (hopefully they were at home with their families where they should be!). She asked if there was any way to delay payment or any other arrangements we could make such as several front row passes to her club.

Ultimately I have no control over payment for my shows. That belongs to the agents at my entertainment agency. This did however give me a great opening to share a little of my testimony (without being judgmental towards her) and why I didn't go to places like that...out of my love for my Savior! She opened up a bit and shared a little of her faith background and we parted ways by me giving her the name of the "nice agent" to work out the payment and that I would be praying for her.

About 2 weeks later I got a call back from this girl who thanked me for our conversation. She decided she was going to go back to college and find a better line of work. What ever happened with her...I don't know. But God does, and this may have been a great example of how God can use a tragic event (this wouldn't have happened otherwise) for His glory!

No comments: