11.21.2008

Family/Friend Friday --- The Plants



As you read this, I am on my way to our retreat in Pennsylvania. It is a great time to connect with God and old friends. We all look forward to this every year (and start planning for the next year before the current year is even over!). My first retreat was in 1999, and I've only missed one (while I had to do a show out of state). Jen and I also met for the first time here in 2001.

CONFESSION TIME:

As I was thinking back over the different retreats, there was a little "practical joke" that stuck out that happened back in 2000. The pastor that was leading the retreat brought a pot with a dead plant in it (as a representation of what sin can do to us). He talked about it all day Saturday and said we would look on Sunday morning at how God can transform us.

Well, that night after the pastor went to bed, we (ok, mostly me) took the dead plant and pulled it out...dirt and all, and replaced it with a very live and vibrant plant that was in the castle (the castle is full of them!). I assumed the pastor would know that it was a joke (as I am sure it wasn't even the same type of plant), but first thing Sunday morning, he went on and on and on and on about the transformation that had happened in that little plant overnight (he really thought it was the same plant!). About 1/2 the group knew what happened, but he was so thrilled, nobody had the heart to tell him.

So there you have it. The 2000 "Miracle of Majesty" was really the "Mischief of a Magician". I'd like to blame my dad for this one...he taught me and would have done the same thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

somehow...that doesn't surprise me..... someone needs to do that to you... :) hehe too bad ron and i won't be there this year.... hehehehehehe


oh and...sorry about the snow for sled riding...i didn't want it to slow your travels but I"m glad you made it safely!!!!