11.28.2008

Family/Friend Friday --- The Toolbox


When I was in Junior High, I had to take metal shop. We had a few different choices of what we could make, and I decided I would make a tool box for my dad. So throughout the semester I made a toolbox, painted it blue, and presented it to my dad. My dad filled it with some tools, and it sat on the shelf in his tool room for years.

Several years later when it was time for me to go off to college, my dad wanted to put together a toolbox that I could take with me. So he empty out the blue toolbox I had made him and started filling it up with all the essential tools I may need. When he was finished, he handed me the toolbox and said, "Here you go...Johnny (my brother) made this toolbox for me years ago. It's not very good, but it should hold up". I responded, "Johnny didn't make that for you, I did!"

After a moment of silent thinking he replied, "Oh, then I meant it was the greatest toolbox I'd ever seen".

Well, I think the first statement (his honest opinion hahaha) was more accurate...the thing fell apart just a few weeks after I went to school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The toolbox looks good!!!! I guess it is like people. No matter how we look it is what we are truly made of that counts! If Jesus is in our heart we hold up, if not we fall apart.

Jerry

Unknown said...

Hey - he still put tools in it anyway! It's the thought that counts, right? We dont' always give our parents the BEST gifts as we grow up but they love them just the same! :)