11.17.2008

Magical Monday --- A Long Distance Trick


My uncle Mikey (who taught me my first magic tricks) and I used to do shows together. We would volunteer for youth groups, nursing homes, etc...but it has been many years since we've worked together. As I was thinking about that, I figured with the way technology is today that we could still do magic together...long distance!

Magic is only limited by your imagination, so I came up with an idea that I thought might work and gave him a call. He liked the idea and we worked out some details and we decided to give it a shot yesterday. So I did the Sunday Service as usual at the County Detention Home. As always, I show the teens a magic trick before I leave. So here is how the trick went:

I pulled out a deck of cards and shuffled them. One of the teens randomly picked a card, and we placed it faced down on the table (I didn't look at it, nor did he, or anyone else in the room). I pulled out my cell phone and gave Mikey a call. I told him someone just picked a card, the card was face down on the table, nobody (including me) had looked at it yet, and before we looked, I asked him to try and guess what it was.

In the room with us is always 2 guards...there is also one watching us on camera from down the hall. At this point in the trick, the guard watching on video came sprinting down the hall as they had to "see this in person". After a few jokes and playing around with the kids over the phone (that's Mikey!) he named a card. We flipped it over, and believe it or not, it was the card Mikey predicted! The teens (and the guards) all went nuts...they couldn't believe it!

It was great to work with my uncle again! We decided to keep this trick going (and who knows, maybe get it published in a magic book)...so anyone who wants to see it, hand me a deck of cards, and as long as Mikey's home to take our call, he'll do it. I'll try to do it again some day this week for our neighbors, and have Jen videotape our new "Long Distance Magic Trick" and post the video next week.

No comments: